Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ohhh where to begin

It all started last Sunday as I was in the shower I had stepped out to shut the door and as I as stepping back in I slipped and fell bruising my right hip, ribs and under my breast, OH the pain. Then Tanner had a bad day in nursery and with out having TJ there to keep him he had to join me in Primary and we were practicing our program so one of the other ladies took him to the back of the Chapel and kept him entertained while I played the piano. Monday was actually a pretty good day minus the fact that we still didn't have heat and only had a small window unit and a space heater that kept the front room warm. Tuesday started off OK and the by noon all hell broke loose. I had that urge to do a load of laundry so I got stuff put in and started and thought for a moment that it felt warm but didn't think much of it as we have a front load washer and I had the flap open to add the soap and thought it was just the hot water. Finished up and went to read my book while Tanner was taking a nap, Well I kept hearing things and just thought it was the washer making noises and didn't think much of it, when all of a sudden I heard a huge rush of water. I rushed to turn on the hall light to see water coming from the ceiling and thought OH NO the roof has caved in and all the water from the rain we got is coming in. So I run to the bedroom and wake up TJ and he comes rushing out as I am rushing to get the trash can to catch all the water. He opens up the toy room and sees water rushing down from the vent and from the light, so I go to the spare room and dump clothes out of totes and he hurries and puts it under the water to catch it. He then gets on the phone to the landlord and his handyman. I went out back to see if the roof had caved in and it hadn't but I could see smoke coming up from one of the vents and rush back in to tell TJ. He calls someone back and they call the fire Department. Well the handy man gets there and shuts off the main water source and that stops all the water from rushing in, and then shortly after that the firetruck showes up and I show them the vent that is smoking and they get there stuff and climb up one of the attic openings. He was able to see that a junction box had caught fire and melted the water hose. They then raked out all the insulation that was hot to make sure there were no other hot spots and then told us that they were going to be calling the power company to come pull the meter as it was unsafe to live there. On a side note Tanner was so excited to see the firetruck and firemen that he found his firemen hat from his Halloween costume and put it on and went out and saw the firetruck.

We were so luck as we only lost toys in the toy room as the ceiling collapsed and we had pretty much moved all the toys anyways so we were able to get most of what was in that room. I can not say how lucky we were that we were home and it wasn't in the middle of the night that the junction box caught fire because it would have been a WHOLE lot worse. Plus our landlord had a home open just 5 houses down and was ready to be moved in to.

We were able to spend 2 days with a wonderful family in our branch and there were many who came to help TJ get all of the heavy things and get them moved to the new house. I am so thankful for all the help we have received from our branch for the help, the dinners, the support, the relief society for coming and helping unpack and sort and put things away. We still have a lot to do as we lost a room for storage (old house had 4 bedrooms new house 3). We have had to get a storage unit for things but its a small price to pay for having all our stuff safe.
So far this week has started off wonderfully, we had our primary program today and it went WONDERFULLY!!! I'm so glad that its over and we can finally focus on other things, but our kids did a fantastic job.

I didn't get a picture of the day that the ceiling collapsed but it went from the door to the window. I think i'll walk up there Tomorrow and get a picture of the ceiling just to show how much collapsed because of all the water damage.

The firetruck drove past our house and had to back up.
Tanner and his firemen hat

Walking out to see the truck as they are waiting for the power company to come and remove the meter.

Tanner and the firetruck!!

The ceiling the day after.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Oh my word! How scary! I'm glad that no one was hurt and that your landlord had a place for you guys to go right away!

Joanna said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible week! I am glad it wasn't worse for you and you are all still alive! I'm glad you have such a great branch to take care of you.

Mark & Terry Rawlinson said...

Isn't it a Blessing to have Church around to help! You are truly blessed it wasn't worse and everyone is safe and you have a new roof over your head!! Keeping you all in our Prayers!!

Anonymous said...

So scary! I never thought of putting a smoke alarm in the attic before, but I'm thinking it's a good idea now! I hope you guys get settled soon, and it's not too hard on the kids.

Kath said...

Sorry to be a lurker but was wondering if you are related to Jane Babcock in Salt Lake? I was in a writer's group with her years ago and I would love to get in touch again.

btw, sounds like a scary house challenge!! Good for you for acting quickly to get kids and stuff safe:)

Kath said...

Thanks for checking on the relations!

Unknown said...

I can't believe that happened, that is terrible! It must have been something in the air (hahaha, not referring to the rain) because we had a horrible week that week too! I hope everything is returning to normal for you guys now. Take care!